A blog about the amazing things teenagers do, about writing for teens, books for teens, and occasional forays into my world and the world of publishing.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Rock the Drop, Results

So today was the day to "Rock the Drop"  in honor of Support Teen Lit Day.

I chose two books to "drop;" my book, BREAKING BEAUTIFUL and SING ME TO SLEEP, my sister-in-law's book and a favorite of mine.

Here's how it went down:

I started with SING ME TO SLEEP at the Lacey Public library. I may have over-thought this one. First I decided that the grandmother statue might like something new to read, after all she's had the same pile of books on her lap for as long as I can remember.


But, I decided it was too hard to see it there, so I put it on the bench next to the statue.

 It looked really nice there, but I was worried about our unpredictable Washington weather and the fact that it was so close to the actual book drop. I thought someone might pick it up and try to return it to the library. Being the dutiful library patron that I am, I went inside and asked a librarian. She suggested I put it here:

It worked! I went to look up a book on the library computer and when I came out SING ME TO SLEEP was gone!

Next it was time to "drop" my book. I really wanted to find a good home for it. I kind of felt like I was leaving my baby in a basket at someone's doorstep with a note that said something like, "Pease love me." It took me a while to figure out where I wanted it to go.

I waited all day until I went to my daughter's Freshman orientation night. I went upstairs to the library, and again, I asked a librarian. He suggested this ugly gold chair:

Apparently it's well-liked by the morning library regulars. I felt like I was giving my baby a good home.

And while I was "Rocking the Drop" in Lacey Washington, BREAKING BEAUTIFUL was out for a lunchtime stroll with my editor. She found a lovely place to leave it:

 Madison Square Gardens. I'm a little jealous, my book seems to be hanging out in cooler places than I am.

This is what I love about book people. We love books so much that we're willing to give them away, just because we want to share the joy that they gave to us. How many other industries are so willing and happy to give away and loan out their product?

If you find any of these books I'd love to hear from you!

This was fun. Let's do it again next year.

Did you "Rock the Drop?" Did you find a free book somewhere randomly placed today? What do you think about this whole idea?

2 comments:

  1. How fun!! I didn't get in on any dropping or finding action this year, but I'll be more involved next year for sure! Such a neat idea :)

    Just learned about your book today while researching agents, and I'm definitely going to have to pick it up. And you have such a neat cover story. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin! And Sara is def. worth researching.

    ReplyDelete